Half Day On The Stream Fly Fishing Lessons
These lessons are comparable to the Orvis Fly Fishing 201 Schools.
You will meet our guide/instructor at our fly shop at 9 a.m. on the date of your lesson for a meet and greet session where the guide will go over some productive flies for the day. If you need a Virginia freshwater fishing license you may also purchase that at the fly shop that morning. (Please arrive 15 minutes early if you need a license.) After the meet and greet session you will follow our guide to the Shenandoah River for a casting lesson that is held on the stream side. After the casting lesson you will enter the river and proceed with the On The Stream instruction. All fly fishing lessons end at 1 p.m.
We provide the fly rod and fly reel outfit for you to use for the lesson plus fly fishing instruction. If you have your own fly rod and reel outfit then you are welcome to use your own or if you would like to purchase an outfit to use for the day we have many options to fit your budget.
- We do not provide waders or wading gear. We normally conduct these lessons in the summer time (mid-June to August) when the water is warm enough to wade wet (wading shoes). However if you are taking a lesson in early June or in September then we do recommend chest high waders. Hip boots are not adequate for wading in the Shenandoah River. We strongly encourage wearing hard sole fishing boots. We do not recommend open toed sandals, flip flops, aqua socks or kayak style booties. Long pants are recommended but not required for wading the Shenandoah River.
- We do not provide flies for the lesson. You can either bring your own or our instructor will be happy to make suggestions the morning of your lesson based on the water conditions and what is working best at that time of the year.
- We do not provide food or drinks. We do encourage you to bring water and snacks.
- We do not provide transportation. You will be responsible for providing your transportation for the lesson.
- We do not provide a fishing license. You can either get a fishing license at the fly shop (please arrive 15 minutes early) or online at gooutdoorsvirginia.com
Summer 2023 Dates
CLICK HERE to register online. Be sure to pick a date from the drop down menu.
|Wed June 21, 2023||Sat June 24, 2023||Sat July 8, 2023|
|Wed July 12, 2023||Sat July 22, 2023||Wed July 26, 2023|
|Wed August 9, 2023||Wed August 16, 2023||Sat August 26, 2023|
|Wed August 30, 2023||Wed Sept 6, 2023|
Other Ways to Learn to Fly Fish
|Guide Trips||Fly Fishing
Visit our fly shop at:
121 S. Main St, (P.O. Box 156), Edinburg VA 22824
or call 540-984-4212 for more information